Saturday, November 06, 2004

He Looks Like A Monkey

I was speaking with someone tonight who pointed out that belittling, or seeming to belittle, the views and beliefs of half of the population is part of what got the Dems in trouble to begin with. Randi Rhodes said that it was time to stop belittling George Bush, because that makes us look bad. At this point, it is a very serious issue and we need to focus on the important facts, not the fact that Bush is intellectually incurious.

About half of this country put some faith in Bush, so we have to learn to listen to that part of the population and learn how we can change their minds. When we belittle Bush, we appear to be belittling those people that want to support him.

It's a thin line to walk, but we will do best if we change the issue entirely. Develop a positive platform, use facts against the Republicans, develop our own language. I know I've said some of this already, and I will continue to say it and refine it as things go on.

I am trying to maintain a level of hope.
More about the Republican mentality on Pandagon.
Also, I think we all should pick up Thomas Frank's book, What's the Matter with Kansas.